Birm™ Filter Media Overview
- Urbans Aqua stocks Birm™ for quick shipment.
- Filter media types are various and often specific to applications.
- Urbans Aqua works closely with manufacturers to understand media limitations and practical application.
- When introducing new products, we connect the manufacturer to dealers across to country to measure the perceived results against actual.
Birm™ is one of several medias which reduce iron and manganese. Birm acts as the catalyst to enhance the reaction between dissolved oxygen and iron compounds.
This oxidative reaction changes soluble iron (clear water iron) Fe++ to Fe+++, insoluble iron. It produces ferric hydroxide which precipitates and is easily filtered.
- Under the right conditions, there are no chemicals required for maintenance and regeneration is not required.
- Iron removal efficiency is very high, only periodic backwashing is required and it has a long life and wide temperature range.
- Residential and Commercial Iron and manganese filtration
Like other iron removal medias, Birm™ is not a “one size fits all”. The manufacturer notes the following operating conditions prior to applying:
- Alkalinity should be greater than two times the combined sulfate & chloride concentration.
- Temperature range 35-1000F.
- pH range – 6.8-9.0; for best results:
- Iron 6.8-8.5
- Manganese 8.0-9.0
- Dissolved Oxygen content equal to at least 15% of the iron and 29% of the manganese content.
- Free chlorine concentration less than 0.5 ppm
- Hydrogen Sulfide should be removed prior to contact.
- No Oil or Polyphosphates present
- TOC less than 5 ppm