GreensandPlus is a proven technology for iron, manganese, hydrogen sulfide, and arsenic removal. GreensandPlus is an exact replacement for Manganese Greensand.
Unlike Greensand, GreensandPlus can regenerated with chlorine, not just potassium permanganate.
- Iron and Manganese Removal
- Soluble iron and manganese are removed by contact oxidation directly on the GreensandPlus grains.
- Hydrogen Sulfide Removal
- GreensandPlus directly oxidizes sulfide and catalyzes the oxidation reaction.
- Arsenic and Radium Removal
- GreensandPlus can be used to remove arsenic and radium from ground water in the presence of iron and manganese respectively. (Contact UA for further details.)
- Simple softener like regeneration with chlorine.
- Where iron removal is the focus, catalytic oxidation operation is recommended.
- GreensandPlus can be used for Intermittent or Continuous Regeneration.
- Intermittent Regeneration (Regenerate, place in service) Point of Entry Residential Applications
- Soluble iron and manganese are removed by contact oxidation.
- GreensandPlus directly oxidizes sulfide and catalyzes the oxidation reaction. The resultant precipitates are removed by filtration in the GreensandPlus bed.
- Regenerate prior to the exhaustion of the GreensandPlus is recommended
- Continuous Regeneration – Municipal Applications
- According to the manufacturer, “in some installations, better performance may be achieved by oxidizing soluble iron, manganese, hydrogen sulfide and arsenic prior to the GreensandPlus filter”.
- Continual feed of chlorine ahead of the filter causes the contaminants to oxidize and drop out of solution. The GreensandPlus then filters out the contaminants.
- It is necessary to maintain a chlorine residual throughout the process.
18 x 60
Effective Size 0.30 - 0.35 mm
pH Range 6.2 - 8.5
Density 80 lbs/cf
Service Flow Rate 2-12 gpm/sq.ft.
Backwash Rate 12 gpm/sq.ft. Minimum
Minimum Bed Depth 15" Dual Bed
30" Single Bed
Bed Expansion 40%
Comparison Chart - GreensandPlus, Katalox-Light, PyroloxAdvantage
Greensand Plus Katalox-Light PyroloxAdvantage
NSF Tested & Certified Standard 61 Standard 61 Standard 61
Weight lbs/cf 90 66 84
Standard Package 0.5 cf bag
1 cf bag
0.5 cf bag
% Manganese Dioxide <5% >9.5% 12.5%
Service Flow Rate 2-12 gpm/sq.ft. 6-12 gpm/sq.ft. 2-12 gpm/sq.ft.
Backwash Flow Rate @ 55 deg F 12 gpm/sq.ft. (Note A) 12 gpm/sq.ft. (Note A) 12 gpm/sq.ft. (Note A)
Regeneration Intermittent or Continuous - Chlorine During backwash (Note B) Intermittent or Continuous - Chlorine or O2
- Note A: Backwash rates vary – increase for higher temp.; decrease for lower temp. (Contact Urbans Aqua for more information.)
- Note B: If insufficient O2 use Chlorine, Hydrogen Peroxide, Oxygen or Potassium Permanganate during backwash.