Filter Media Overview
Urbans Aqua stocks Filter Media for quick shipment. Filter media types are various and often specific to applications. Urbans Aqua works closely with manufacturers of media to understand media limitations and practical application.
When introducing new products, we connect the manufacturer to dealers across to country to measure the perceived results against actual.
MTM® reduces iron, manganese and hydrogen sulfide. It has a lightweight core with a coating of manganese dioxide. It is similar to GreensandPlus because it is regenerated with potassium permanganate but it is lighter in weight. Continuous or intermittent regenerations are required to maintain its oxidizing capacity.
- Broad operating range for iron reduction
- Lower pressure loss through the bed with high flock holding capacity
- Effective hydrogen sulfide, iron and manganese reduction
- Light weight requires lower backwash rates
- Low attrition loss for long life bed
- NSF Certified to ANSI Standard 61
- MTM® requires continuous or intermittent regeneration to maintain its oxidizing capacity.
- Continuous Regeneration – Continuous fee regeneration using Chlorine, potassium permanganate, or both is required on all systems larger than 3 cubic feet. Potassium permanganate (or chlorine then potassium permanganate) can be pre-fed to maintain capacity. In the latter case, the manganese dioxide coating acts as a catalyst to enhance the oxidation reaction and as a buffer to reduce any excess potassium permanganate concentration and prevent it from entering the service lines.
- Intermittent Regeneration – use a regenerating solution of 1.5 to 2 ounces (dry weight) of potassium permanganate per cubic foot.
- Backwash and regenerate prior to start-up. Caution should be taken not to backwash the media out of the system.
- Low pH or lack of an oxidant such as chlorine or potassium permanganate will lead to media destruction.
- Maximum practical limits:
- Iron – 15 ppm
- Manganese – 5 ppm
- Hydrogen Sulfide – 2 ppm
- Bed Depth: 24-36”
- Freeboard: 50% of bed depth
- Service flow rater: Continuous 2-5 gpm/ft2, Intermittent flows up to 10 gpm/ft2
- Backwash flow rate: at 60° F 8-10 gpm/ft2 for tanks < 12”; 10-12 gpm/ft2 for tanks > 13”
- Backwash Expansion rate: 20-40% of bed depth
- Bulk Density: 40-50 lbs./ft3
- Effective Size: 0.43 mm
- UC: 2.0
- Mesh Size: 12 x 50