Filter Sand and Gravel Media
Urbans Aqua stocks sand and gravel for quick shipment.
- Filter Sand – .45-.55 mm
- Filter Gravel – 1/4″ x 1/8″
- Filter Gravel – 1/8″ x 1/16″
- Filter media types are various and often specific to applications.
- Urbans Aqua works closely with manufacturers to understand media limitations and practical application.
- When introducing new products, we connect the manufacturer to dealers across to country to measure the perceived results against actual.
Sand is believed to have been the first filtration media. For water treatment filtration, it must be washed, graded and certified for potable water use. Silica sand is shipped world-wide. Its sub-angular form is conducive to superior filtration.
- Extremely high pure silica content.
- Double scrubbed and dried.
- Meets AWWA B100 and is NSF certified to Standard 61.
- Service Flow Rate: 5 gpm per ft2
- Peak Service Flow Rate: 15 gpm per ft2
- Bed Depth: 18-30”
- Backwash Rate: 15-20 gpm per ft2
- Bed Expansion: 30-40%
- The configuration for a standard sand filter is:
- Sub-fill – 1/4” x 1/8”
- Middle Layer – 1/8” x 1/16” (sometimes referred to as 6 x 14 mesh)
- Top Layer – .45-.45 mm
- Pool filter sand is .45-.55 mm.
- 1/4” x 1/8” gravel is often referred to as “pea gravel” because its size is approximately the same as a pea.
- 1/4″ x 1/8″ or 1/8″ x 1/16″ filter gravel is used as sub-fill in water softeners.
- Silica sand and gravel have no chemical properties which enable it to remove or react with contaminants. Its purpose is mechanical filtration.
When to Use Gravel Sub-Fill
|Carbon Filters - Backwashable Type||Yes||If recycling carbon, separation of gravel from carbon is required.|
|Carbon Filters VOC Removal||No||Backwashing a carbon filter used for VOC removal will upset the mass transfer zone and may result in leakage of the contaminants.|
|Acid Neutralizers||Yes||Upflow & Downflow systems|
|Softening - Upflow||No||N/A|
|Softening - Downflow||Yes||Creates a better flow pattern.|